[Lustre-discuss] Start the MGS first?

Nathaniel Rutman Nathan.Rutman at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 27 08:44:31 PDT 2009

James Beal wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2009, at 19:48, Nathaniel Rutman wrote:
>
>> As of Lustre 1.6, servers can be started in any order (after the
>> initial registration at first startup).  Internally, this required
>> significant bending of our connection rules, and with a move toward
>> ZFS becomes even more burdensome.
>> So my question to the Lustre community is this: would anyone
>> strenuously object to a startup ordering requirement that the MGS
>> must be started before any other servers?
>> This would probably be in the Lustre 3.0 timeframe.  It is also
>> likely that we will have to divorce the MGS and MDT onto separate
>> devices -- no more "combo" MDT/MGSes.

> Our current lustre heartbeat configurations rely on being able to
> start servers in any order.
>
> While ensuring that the MGS is started before the MDT would be
> relatively simple. Ensuring it starts before the OSTs would be
> difficult as we a system where we have pairs of heartbeat systems and
> they do not know the state of one and another. We have found small
> heartbeat systems to be more reliable than large ones and this is the
> reason we have multiple simple heartbeat systems.

Thanks - this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

You wouldn't actually have to ensure the MGS starts first -- the OST and
MDT mounts would block until the MGS was ready.  So if they are truly
independent, everything will simply wait until the MGS has started, if I
understand your setup correctly.