[Lustre-discuss] root on lustre and timeouts

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Fri May 1 08:33:01 PDT 2009

FYI we have been testing FS-Cache from Redhat (landed in 2.6.30) - http://people.redhat.com/~dhowells/fscache. A common read-only NFS root is cached by the clients to the local disk. Not quite a "diskless" system but a good hybrid between booting entirely from network and booting from the local drive. You can make the NFS lookups a little more lazy with the mount options "actimeo=7200,nocto" (say). It has been working well so far but more testing is required before we go into production. Combined with UnionFS for writes we can network boot desktop machines without users noticing the difference between a local HD install.

I've never tried oneSIS but we use the "buildroot" initrd which uses uclibc and busybox - quite easy to port apps to it (http://buildroot.uclibc.org).

Daire