[Lustre-discuss] tcp network load balancing understanding lustre 1.8

Michael Ruepp michael at schwarzfilm.ch
Thu May 7 05:50:13 PDT 2009

Hi there,

I am configured a simple tcp lustre 1.8 with one mdc (one nic) and two
oss (four nic per oss)
As well as in the 1.6 documentation, the multihomed sections is a
little bit unclear to me.

I give every NID a IP in the same subnet, eg: 10.111.20.35-38 - oss0
and 10.111.20.39-42 oss1

Do I have to make modprobe.conf.local look like this to force lustre
to use all four interfaces parallel:

options lnet networks=tcp0(eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3)
Because on Page 138 the 1.8 Manual says:
"Note – In the case of TCP-only clients, the first available non-
loopback IP interface
is used for tcp0 since the interfaces are not specified. "

or do I have to specify it like this:
options lnet networks=tcp
Because on Page 112 the lustre 1.6 Manual says:
"Note – In the case of TCP-only clients, all available IP interfaces
are used for tcp0
since the interfaces are not specified. If there is more than one, the
IP of the first one
found is used to construct the tcp0 ID."

Which is the opposite of the 1.8 Manual

My goal ist to let lustre utilize all four Gb Links parallel. And my
Lustre Clients are equipped with two Gb links which should be utilized
by the lustre clients as well (eth0, eth1)

Or is bonding the better solution in terms of performance?

Thanks very much for input,

Michael Ruepp
Schwarzfilm AG