[Lustre-discuss] NUMA IO and Lustre

Sébastien Buisson sebastien.buisson at bull.net
Tue May 12 07:07:51 PDT 2009

Hello,

At Bull we would like to use a specific machine as Lustre OSS server.
This is a NUMA IO machine made of 2 Infiniband interfaces for the
connections to the clients, and 2 FiberChannel interfaces giving access
to 8 LUNs.

Given this architecture, the stake is to avoid as much as possible
suffering from the NUMA factor. Ideally, this would require the ability
from Lustre to 'bind' a given OST to a given IB interface (let's
consider we know which IB interface best suits a given FC interface).
The goal is to ensure that no 'NUMA IO tax' is paid when data is
transferred between an FC interface and an IB interface, ie when a
Lustre client reads or writes from/to an OST.

Concretely, we would like to know if it is possible in Lustre to bind an
OST to a specific network interface, so that this OST is only reached
through this interface (thus avoiding the NUMA IO factor in our case) ?
For instance, we would like to have 4 OSTs attached to ib0 and the 4
other OSTs attached to ib1.
We gave a look at the Lustre Manual, but we did not find any way to
set-up this feature with the usual "mkfs.lustre" and "mount -t lustre"
commands.

Cheers,
Sebastien.