[Lustre-discuss] Download

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Tue May 12 11:09:58 PDT 2009

Hmmm.   I tried to download lustre 1.8.0 two days ago (shortly after
the announcement).    I tried to use my existing "Sun" account info
that I established when we downloaded 1.6.x.    The download site
accepted my user name and password but denied me access saying that my
account required "manual review".    A day later, yesterday, they sent
me an email saying they needed my "Full Legal" name and that the
initial "A" was not sufficient or some other nonsense.    So it is now
two days later and I still can't download what is *supposed* to be
freely available open-source software.

For the record, I don't mind registering for the download.   I *do*
mind the security screening.    I'm not opening a bank account here.
I just want to download some bits with an account I used in the
past.    Fortunately, I could just "fake" another account and get the
software.   My question is simply, "Why do you want to hassle your
faithful this way"?    We are not long-time lustre users (about 1.5
years now) but we have touted the benefits of lustre to anyone and
everyone who would listen and have contributed to the adoption of
lustre at several other sites.

I'll just add that the multi-tiered download site is also an
unnecessary hassle and puts off your users.

Stop the insanity,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center