[Lustre-discuss] Mounting Lustre as an ext3 partition

Wed May 13 06:16:28 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 14:53 +0200, Nick Jennings wrote:

> Ah yes, of course. Thanks for the reply, I guess I wasn't thinking that
> one through completely.
>
> So if, for example, the MDS drive dies, my entire Lustre filesystem is
> unrecoverable?

Yes.  That is why _reliable_ storage for the MDT is paramount.  RAID 5/6
doesn't perform a well as RAID 1 for the MDT however, so RAID 1 is our
recommendation.

Some people also back up their MDT.  There has been lots of discussion
of that on this list.  The archives will be quite fruitful if you want
to research that option as well.

b.