[Lustre-discuss] lustre failover pairs

John White JWhite at lbl.gov
Wed May 13 10:19:30 PDT 2009

Good Morning Folks,
	A quick question on lustre failover as far as OSSs are concerned.
Can failover pairs be in an (for lack of a better phrase) active-
active setup?  I have a GPFS background where we would have NSDs
(OSTs) split between two servers -- half the NSDs would be primarily
served by one server, the other half on the other server.  In the case
of a failover, one server would take over all NSDs until such time as
the primary was back in production.

Looking at the lustre docs, it looks like this is not the standard
operating procedure.  Rather, it looks like a "active-passive" setup
where one OSS owns all the OSTs and the failover is more a warm spare
ready to kick into action when a failure occurs but not serving any
data requests while in full production.  Is this a correct analysis of
the lustre side of things?
John White
HPC Systems Engineer
(510) 486-7307