[Lustre-discuss] Question on upgrading Lustre 1.6.6 -> 1.8.0

thhsieh thhsieh at piano.rcas.sinica.edu.tw
Sun May 17 01:33:03 PDT 2009

Dear All,

I have read the description of Lustre Operation Guide for version
1.8. But I am still not very sure about the exact procedures to
upgrade from version 1.6.6 to version 1.8.0. Now I try to write up
a plan of upgrading. Please give me your kindly comments on my
procedures. :)

In our system, we have three Lustre filesystems (they are all version
1.6.6, for all the MGS, MDT, OST, and clients), which are configured
in the following:

1. fsname="chome"
   MGS: qa1:/dev/sda5
   MDT: qa1:/dev/sda5  (i.e., exactly same disk partition as MGS)
   OST: qaX:/dev/sdaX  (distributed in several OST nodes)

2. fsname="cwork"
   MGS: qa1:/dev/sda5  (shared with that of "chome")
   MDT: qa1:/dev/sda6
   OST: qaY:/dev/sdaY  (distributed in several OST nodes)

3. fsname="cwork1"
   MGS: qa1:/dev/sda5  (shared with that of "chome")
   MDT: qa1:/dev/sda7
   OST: qaZ:/dev/sdaZ  (distributed in several OST nodes)

We do not have failover configurations in all the filesystems.

I am planing to shutdown all the Lustre filesystems, and then perform the
upgrading, and finally startup them. I guess that would be simpler. The
exact procedures I am going to do are:

1. For each of the Lustre filesystems, I will perform the following
   shutdown procedures (chome should be the last one to shutdown, since
   it share the MDT and MGS in the same partition):
   - umount all clients
   - umount all OSTs
   - umount MDT

2. Install the new Lustre-1.8 software and modules and reboot all the
   nodes. Then I will upgrade "chome" first, and then "cwork", and
   finally "cwork1".

3. Upgrade MGS and "MDT for chome":

   qa1# tunefs.lustre --mgs --mdt --fsname=chome /dev/sda5

4. Upgrade OSTs for chome:

   qaX# tunefs.lustre --ost --fsname=chome --mgsnode=qa1 /dev/sdaX

   Up to this point the "chome" part should be ready, I guess.

5. Now the MDT for "cwork". The manual says that we should copy the MDT
   and client startup logs from the MDT to the MGS, so I guess that I should

   - Mount MGS as ldiskfs:
     qa1# mount -t ldiskfs /dev/sda5 /mnt

   - Run script "lustre_up14" on the MDT of "cwork" partition:
     qa1# lustre_up14 /dev/sda6 cwork

     then I will get the following files:
     /tmp/logs/cwork-client
     /tmp/logs/cwork-MDT0000

   - Copy these log files to /mnt/CONFIGS/

   - Umount MGS:
     qa1# umount /mnt

   - Upgrade the MDT:
     qa1# tunefs.lustre --mdt --nomgs --fsname=cwork --mgsnode=qa1 /dev/sda6

6. Now the OSTs for "cwork":

   qaY# tunefs.lustre --ost --fsname=cwork1 --mgsnode=qa1 /dev/sdaY

   Up to now the filesystem "cwork" should be ready.

7. For the MDT and OSTs for "cwork1", we can follow the same procedures
   as step 6 and 7.

8. Start up the new Lustre filesystems:

   For chome:
   qa1# mount -t lustre /dev/sda5 /cfs/chome_mdt
   qaX# mount -t lustre /dev/sdaX /cfs/chome_ostX
   mount the clients

   for cwork:
   qa1# mount -t lustre /dev/sda6 /cfs/cwork_mdt
   qaY# mount -t lustre /dev/sdaY /cfs/cwork_ostY
   mount the clients

   for cwork1:
   qa1# mount -t lustre /dev/sda7 /cfs/cwork1_mdt
   qaZ# mount -t lustre /dev/sdaZ /cfs/cwork1_ostZ
   mount the clients

Please kindly give me your comments. Thanks very much.

Best Regards,

T.H.Hsieh