[Lustre-discuss] Status of Changelogs in 2.0-alpha

Arne Wiebalck arne.wiebalck at cern.ch
Tue May 19 08:34:07 PDT 2009

Dear all,

I'm looking into the Changelogs feature of 2.0-alpha.
The goal is to create a list of files to be backed
up, using Changelogs as an alternative to e2scan.

>From what I see in bug #15699 (and also in my testing)
is that the open/close records are unsupported as of
now, correct?

Which record types should be set in order to track file
changes needed to create a backup list (and are they
supported yet ;-)?

I checked contents of /proc/fs/lustre/mdd/*/changelog
to see the recorded changes. Is that the 'official'
place to look? Are there alternative interfaces?

Is there yet some general documentation on how to use
Changelogs? The best I have found so far is a mail from
Nathan to the devel list ("Changelog API" from Sep 19
2008). For instance, where can I find how the
changelog_{de}register commands for lctl are to be used?

TIA,
 Arne