[Lustre-discuss] parity raid on MDTs

John White jwhite at lbl.gov
Tue May 26 12:53:23 PDT 2009

Hey Folks,
	So we've got an interesting question.  We're looking at various MDT
solutions for a small (120TB) filesystem.  We recently have been
testing out some Intel X25-Es and are getting mind-blowing performance
out of them and think they'd be perfectly positioned for an MDT.  We
have some options here to consider and wonder if anyone has any insight.

We have some dell 2950's on site (6 bay).  One thought it fully
populating a 2950 and using raid5/6.  Now, I know many of you are
gasping right now, but I wonder if anyone has done the testing already
for something like this.  Does the drastic cut in latency to the disk
negate the XOR latency inherent in parity RAID?

Our other option is just getting an 8 bay 2970 and doing RAID10,
something we don't have so much hesitation with but would require the
purchase of extra hardware.

Thoughts?
John White
HPC Systems Engineer