[Lustre-discuss] a basic question for lustre

Andreas Dilger adilger at Sun.COM
Sun May 31 20:56:00 PDT 2009

On May 28, 2009  23:13 +0800, 巍 搪 wrote:
>     I'm so happy to join in  this forum to solve my
> question ,I'd like to know what is the unit which the lustre client
> cache the file data, a file or a block or a object?   or it still only
> use the vfs buffer cache mechanism?

While Lustre itself has byte-range locking, the Linux kernel will
only practically allow caching at the page level.  The client can
also send uncached writes and the server will do byte-range locking.

>    And I want to some materials about the lustre cache include the
> mds cache, ost cache and client cache. That will be nice of you to
> help me for my study.

All of the Lustre documentation is linked from:
http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php/Lustre_Documentation

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.