[Lustre-discuss] OSS extremely slow in response, ll_ost load high

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Nov 3 14:37:26 PST 2009

On 2009-11-03, at 11:22, Thomas Roth wrote:
> in our 1.6.7.2 - Debian- Kernel 2.6.22 Cluster, 2 Servers with 2 and 3
> OSTs have become somewhat blocking in the sense that commands like
> "lfs
> df" will have to wait for ca. 30s when reaching these OSTs in the
> list.
> Some of our clients do not have this problem, some have these
> contact(?)
> problems with the one server, some with the other, and it is time
> dependent. I have run "lfs df" without problem five times, only on the
> sixth run it would halt.
>
> What really distinguishes these lame OSS machines from all others is
> that each has one ll_ost_123 thread that takes up one cpu core
> entirely.
> Since our servers have 8 Cores, 8GB RAM, each, I didn't think this
> would
> actually impede Lustre operations.

This probably indicates an LBUG on that system that is causing the
thread to
hang.  You should check the /var/log/messages to see what the root
cause is.

> One of the said OSS has had 2 of its 3 OSTs attached somewhat later
> than
> the first one. Hence, the younger 2 appear later in a listing of
> OSTs as
> you would get out of "lfs df". None of the clients would stop for
> these
> OSTs. I conclude that I am not dealing with network problems.
>
> Now for the OSS-logs, there are indeed 'new' error messages.
>
> Nov  3 18:49:58 OSS kernel: Lustre:
> 13086:0:(socklnd_cb.c:2728:ksocknal_check_peer_timeouts()) Stale ZC_R
> EQs for peer Client-IP at tcp detected: 4; the oldest (ffff81010fc15000)
> timed out 0 secs ago
>
> Nov  3 18:55:32 OSS kernel: LustreError:
> 13323:0:(events.c:66:request_out_callback()) @@@ type 4, status
> -5  req at ffff8102005cbc00 x155576/t0
> o106->@NET_0x200000a0c4487_UUID:15/16 lens 232/296 e 0 to 1 dl
> 1257270939
> ref 2 fl Rpc:/2/0 rc 0/0
> Nov  3 18:55:32 OSS kernel: LustreError:
> 13323:0:(events.c:66:request_out_callback()) Skipped 68485395 pr
> evious similar messages
>
> Status -5 means Linux error code -5 = I/O error ? Silent disk
> corruption?
> Of course I don't have any other indications of hard disk failure.
> There
> was a power outage, however. Only it was already one week ago, and we
> did not see this behavior before today.

This is unlikely to mean disk filesystem corruption, but rather that
there
was an error reading or writing over the network...

The fact that there were 68 million of these messages means something is
quite wrong with that node.

> Is there anything I can do to get rid of these annoying ll_ost threads
> in the running system? Of course I'm not sure they are the root of the
> problem...

Well, the ll_ost_* threads are the ones that are doing the actual work
of handling the RPCs, so you can't get rid of them.  The modprobe.conf
oss_num_threads line is forcing the startup of 256 of those threads,
instead of letting Lustre start the appropriate number of threads based
on the system load.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.