[Lustre-discuss] 1.8.1.1, 2.6.27.29-0.1_lustre.1.8.1.1-default and HIGHMEM 64G

Piotr Wadas pwadas at dtpw.pl
Sat Nov 7 08:17:59 PST 2009

Hello. Is there any problem with 8GB RAM and lustre ? Default binary
lustre-enabled 2.6.27.29 kernel for SLES11 provided by SUN has 4GB limit.
I tried to rebuild from appropriate linux-patched-source, also provided by
SUN, with only this kernel option changed, and I discovered, that despite
of build of vmlinuz and lustre modules finished succesfully, one
absolutely required module fsfilt_ldiskfs returns strange errors, unknown
symbols like ldiskfs_iget and more. Some test builds also resulted with
invalid module format. I'd assume some locally-related error, but binary
kernel ( 2.6.27.29-0.1_lustre.1.8.1.1-default ) works like charm, except
it sees ~4GB RAM, while my machine (x86 Xeon Core 2) has 8GB. Currently
I'm going to wait and see, hoping next SUN builds will have 64G option
set. I didn't look into 64bit binary kernel (also provided by SUN),
because my guess is it won't work on Xeon, don't have so much time now to
make sure about it..

In general, it seems, that the result of self-made build of kernel and
lustre, even with detailed documentation instructions and supported
versions of kernel/utils/build environment still is a little bit
unpredictable.. I really hope I'll join vanilla kernels someday.

Regards,
DT