[Lustre-discuss] Stalled autofs + lustre summary

Mon Nov 23 07:14:00 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 14:36 +0100, Heiko Schröter wrote:

> An upgrade to 1.8.x is scheduled for Jan/Feb 2010. Until then i cannot interupt the system because of some important deadlines coming up.
> We are bundled to the Gentoo Distro. So a RHEL5/SLES10 Kernel probably won't help.

Yeah, it's gets more and more difficult to try to support the further
one diverges from the "tested and known working set".  Given that the
servers are supposed to be dedicated, treated almost as "sealed server"
systems, it really should not be difficult to run one of our packaged
and supported releases (i.e. rhel5, sles10/11) on them.  It would sure
make your life easier.

Then all you have to worry about on the "divergence" scale is clients
and we are pretty loose about them given that we support patchless
clients now.

> Are there any "killer" options needed within the kernel which are crucial for lustre+autofs ?

There should not be.  autofs is (supposed to be) nothing more than
simply demand mounting.  It really should not be any different than
issuing a mount command at a root prompt.

> Would it make any difference to only update a client ?

It might.

> Is it known if that is fixed in 1.8.x.x ?

Should be given 1.6.6-1.6.7's time frame.

> We turned of autofs+lustre last week (week 47) and since then we don't have any problems with the fs.

Well, that's good news.  In terms of autofs being your only issue,
anyway.  :-)

b.