[Lustre-discuss] stripe offset and hot-spots

John White jwhite at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 24 11:17:30 PST 2009

Hello Folks,
	So I'm trying to get a theoretical understanding of stripe offsets in lustre.  As I understand it, the default offset set to 0 results in all writes beginning at OSS0-OST0.  With a default stripe of 4, doesn't this lead to massive hotspots on OSS0-OST[0-3] (unless *all* writes are consistently large)?

	With our setup, we have 4 OSTs per OSS (well, the last OSS has 3, but that's not important right now).  This would appear, in theory, to put OSS0 in a very hot situation.

	That said, I wonder how efficient a solution setting the stripe offset of the root of the file system to -1 ("random") is to solving this theoretical situation (given my understanding of striping under lustre).

	In reality, we have a quite varied workload on our file systems with codes ranging from bio to astrophys and, as such, writes ranging from very small to very large.  Any real-world experience with these situations?  Are there strange inefficiencies or administrative difficulties that should be known previous to enabling "random" offsets?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
John White
High Performance Computing Services (HPCS)
(510) 486-7307
One Cyclotron Rd, MS: 50B-3209C
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
Berkeley, CA 94720