[Lustre-discuss] question about failnode with mixed networks

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Nov 24 18:46:53 PST 2009

On 2009-11-24, at 16:06, John White wrote:
> Okay, thanks Jeff.  This opens up another question... can you fail
> between protocols?
> I have clients that have both o2ib and tcp connectivity to the
> servers, can I do:
>
> mount -t lustre mds0 at o2ib:mds1 at o2ib:mds0 at tcp0:mds1 at tcp0:/testfs /mnt/
> testfs
>
> Will state be preserved between protocols or is this just entirely
> insane?

Lustre can do this, but it isn't a normal config.  Note that in the
case of multiple interfaces for the same node there is a slightly
different syntax for the mount...  I _believe_ (though don't have the
info handy right now) that you separate NIDs for the same node with
commas, and different nodes with a colon, so you can try:

mount -t lustre mds0 at o2ib,mds0 at tcp:mds1 at o2ib0,mds1 at tcp0:/test /mnt/test

I'm not 100% sure of that.

Note that this may double your client's failover times because it now
has 4 addresses to try when reconnecting, instead of 2.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.