[Lustre-discuss] getting "Not a directory" when accessing mount point

Wed Nov 25 14:02:10 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 16:54 -0500, Aaron Siri wrote:
> I ran the following:
>
> mkfs.lustre --mgs --mdt /dev/hdb
>
> mount -t lustre /dev/hdb /mnt/lustre

So this has started your meta-data service.  You now need "data" service
(i.e. OST(s)).

> And “df –h” shows the correct size of my lustre filesystem. However,
> if I try to ls (or access in other ways) to /mnt/lustre I get:
>

> ls: /mnt/lustre: Not a directory

You cannot actually access the /mnt/lustre that you mounted on the MDS.

> I was under the impression I didn’t need to create OSTs.

You most certainly do.  OSTs are where the data (i.e. the contents of
the files in your filesystem) are store.  You also need to mount the
Lustre filesystem (as a whole) on a client and access it from that
client.

> Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?  How do I access the lustre storage?

You create OSTs, mount them, then mount the filesystem on one or more
clients and access it from there.

It sounds like you really need to take a(nother) read through the
operations manual at manual.lustre.org to get a better picture of the
overall architecture.

b.