[Lustre-discuss] OST Pools

John White jwhite at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 5 09:47:47 PDT 2009

Hello Folks,
	So we're planning on upgrading to 1.8 to take advantage of OST
Pools.  Namely, we have an existing filesystem running off DDN 9900s
and are getting some new arrays of a different (known slower)
hardware.  The aim is to create an (almost) institutional file system
where new groups can just purchase OSTs and go.  So from what
documentation I can find, the process for this would appear to be:
-create OSTs as you normally would
-create a new OST pool (lctl pool_new [fsname].[newpoolneame]
-add new OSTs to new OST Pool (lctl pool_add [fsname].[newpoolname]
[newostuids]
-create a new directory within the existing file system to associate
with new pool (lfs setstripe [newdirectory] -p [newpoolname]

and... that should be all, right?.. As long as I'm careful with the
writeconf command going forward, I should be fairly safe with the
newfangled pool stuff?
John White
High Performance Computing Services (HPCS)
(510) 486-7307
One Cyclotron Rd, MS: 50B-3209C
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
Berkeley, CA 94720