[Lustre-discuss] e2fsck: undefined symbol: ext2_attr_index_prefi

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Oct 9 08:00:55 PDT 2009

I have Lustre 1.8.1 running on a bunch of SLES 11/x86_64 systems.  I'm
using the stock binaries from www.sun.com.  Everything is fine ... except
that some of the e2fsprogs utilites are unhappy.  Specifically, if I try
to run e2fsck, I get:

# e2fsck /dev/sdb
e2fsck: symbol lookup error: e2fsck: undefined symbol: ext2_attr_index_prefix

I have, of course, the latest e2fsprogs that were released with 1.8.1:

# rpm -q -a | grep e2fsprogs
e2fsprogs-1.41.6.sun1-0suse

(Occasionally tunefs.lustre complains about a missing symbol as well, but
it has "mmp" in the name.  But that doesn't happen always).

What am I doing wrong?  I was not involved with the installation of the
SLES 11 system, but I was under the impression it was pretty vanilla.

--Ken