[Lustre-discuss] Setup mail cluster

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Mon Oct 12 07:07:55 PDT 2009

Am Montag, 12. Oktober 2009 15:54:04 schrieb Vadym:
> Hello
> I'm do a schema of mail service so I have only one question:
> Can Lustre provide me full automatic failover solution?

No. See the lustre manual for this. You need a cluster solution for this.
The manual is *hopelessly* outdate at this point. Do NOT user heartbeat any
more. User pacemaker as the cluster manager. See www.clusterlabs.org.

When I find some time I want to write a HOWTO about setting up a lustre clsuter
with pacemaker and OpenAIS.

> I plan to use for storage the standard servers with 1GE links. I need
> automatic solution as possible.
> E.g. RAID5 functionality, when one or more storage node down user data
> still accessible. So if I have 100TB of disk storage I can serve 50TB of
> data in failover mode with no downtime. Can you provide me more
> information?

Is a  bond-device for cluster interconnect! It is more safe!

Use DRBD for replication of the data if you use Direct attached Storage.

DRBD can operate on top of LVM. So you can have that functionallity also.

Perhaps you can try clustered LVM. Has nice features.

Or just use ZFS, which offers all this.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42