[Lustre-discuss] Understanding of MMP

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Mon Oct 19 07:46:40 PDT 2009

Hi,

perhaps I have a problem understanding multiple mount protection MMP. I have a
cluster. When a failover happens sometimes I get the log entry:

Oct 19 15:16:08 sososd7 kernel: LDISKFS-fs warning (device dm-2):
ldiskfs_multi_mount_protect: Device is already active on another node.
Oct 19 15:16:08 sososd7 kernel: LDISKFS-fs warning (device dm-2):
ldiskfs_multi_mount_protect: MMP failure info: last update time: 1255958168,
last update node: sososd3, last update device: dm-2

Does the second line mean that my node (sososd7) tried to mount /dev/dm-2 but
MMP prevented it from doing so because the last update from the old node
(sososd3) was too recent?

From the manuals I found the MMP time of 109 seconds? Is it correct that after
the umount the next node cannot mount the same filesystem within 10 seconds?

So the solution would be to wait fotr 10 seconds mounting the resource on the
next node. Is this correct?

Thanks.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42