[Lustre-discuss] 1.8.1 test setup achieved, what about maximum mdt size

Wed Oct 21 11:14:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 13:06 -0500, Nirmal Seenu wrote:
> Could you please let us know the correct procedure to grow an MDT
> partition that is on a LVM volume.
>
> Do I use resize2fs, after I add more extents to the MDT volume using the
> "lvextend" command.

Yes, that's the theory.

> I am using Lustre 1.8.0.1 + e2fsprogs-1.40.11.sun1-0redhat.x86_64 and
> the resize2fs version is: 1.40.11.sun1 (17-June-2008)

Yes, best be sure you are using the latest e2fsprogs we have released.

Of course, I would be remiss to point out that we DO NOT test this
feature _at_all_ and that you should have a good, tested backup on hand,
just in case.

Personally, I would also (take the performance hit) and make a snapshot
just to add a belt to my suspenders.  I would remove the snapshot when I
was happy enough with the result.

b.