[Lustre-discuss] more on MGS and MDT separation

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Oct 23 02:00:26 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-22, at 13:41, Ms. Megan Larko wrote:
> Additionally in Lustre-discuss Digest Vol 45 Issue 36 A. Dilger
> opined:
> "...128Mb is the max size the MGS would ever need."
>
> Wow!  That is small.  I know the MGS does not store the sort of data
> retained on an MDT for a multi-Tb filesystem, but really 128Mb max
> would be used?

I honestly don't have much data on this, so I can't say with absolute
certainty whether that is the max.  There are only a handful of smallish
config files per server, and one for all of the clients.  The MGS
doesn't
need very much space.

Maybe someone with access to ORNL Spider (largest Lustre filesystem) can
comment on how much space is used in the /CONFIGS/ directory?

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.