[Lustre-discuss] ACL question

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Mon Oct 26 14:03:45 PDT 2009

We are running 1.8.0.180 and seem to have an issue with ACLs that I hope
someone can help us with. We have ACLs enabled on Lustre and can write them
and read them just fine. However, Lustre does not seems to respect ACLs like
Linux should. An example:

drwxrwx---+ 3 user1     root         4.0K 2009-10-26 14:29 zz

# file: zz
# owner: yanzzee
# group: root
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:group1:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

So user1 is the owner of directory zz and root is the group owner, but
group1 has full permissions on directory through ACLs. User2 is a member of
group1, but is not able to list or modify the directory. This same set-up
works in tmp and is what I am used to. In order for it to work on Lustre, I
have to set the Default ACL for the group before access is granted. If I
remove all the default ACLs, it still works. Is there something that I am
doing wrong that the behavior is not what I expect from other filesystems?

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University