[Lustre-discuss] Network best practices

Arne Brutschy arne.brutschy at ulb.ac.be
Tue Oct 27 09:02:53 PDT 2009

Hello,

we currently have a cluster connected with a private GbE network.
Traffic other than Lustre is minimal (Gridengine task management).
Nevertheless, we have the MDS loosing connection to the OSS from time to
time under load.

As it proved to be critical to Lustre not to lose the connection between
MDS and OSS, we're thinking about implementing a separate direct
connection between the lustre servers, using one interface for internal
traffic and another one for bulk traffic (client connection).

Does this make sense? Did anyone already implemented such a network
layout, or is it even possible with lustre?

Thanks
Arne

--
Arne Brutschy
Ph.D. Student                    Email    arne.brutschy(AT)ulb.ac.be