[Lustre-discuss] typical hardware...

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 05:47:06 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have been watching the progression of Lustre for some years now and I am
in a position to construct a storage system as proof of concept in use with
a particular application we have in house.

Although I am no stranger to the basics of high perf interconnects up until
now, all of my storage requirements have been met with FC based SAN's so my
practical experience with them is quite low.

My question is basically this. What are people gravitating towards these
days? For a while, it seemed like Infiniband was going to the interconnect
to use due to cost/port as compare t o 10G Ethernet, but 10G seems to be
coming down in price. What are people using for OSS/OST's ? I've been
reading about the DDN stuff which is impressive but I don't have access to
that kind of budget yet.

My initial plan is to tie some HP DL160's to MSA70's filled with 300GB
drives. I realize this won't give me any sort of failover capability but
this is just a proof for now. If there is a low cost, high speed shared
device, I'd rather use a failover config in order to get a real feel for
that this is going to require.

Also, the roadmap for Lustre used to include "raid" personalities for OSS's.
has that functionality been deferred or dropped altogether, or is it still
in the works?

I realize this is a bit vague but as I mentioned, right now this is proof of
concept for us and stage one is of course fact finding.

Any suggestions for a rank beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Corey