[Lustre-discuss] Clients Unmounting Lustre

Tue Sep 8 15:26:02 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 17:46 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Note that in 1.6 changing the oss thread count is not dynamic, it
> needs a server restart.

Yeah.  :-(

> In 1.8.1 (IIRC) it is possible to increase
> the thread count at runtime, though it can't yet be reduced.

Oh, not so bad as 1.6 then.

For me though, the ideal is reached when the tuning is done dynamically.
I would imagine an implementation not unlike what TCP's slow start does
for the congestion window.  i.e. start with a small number of OST
threads (or perhaps cache a value from the last run) and add more until
performance either drops, or does at least does not increase with the
addition of threads.

The devil is in the details of course.  I'm not quite imagining how
"performance" is measured or tracked though.

I think I opened a bug on this a while ago.

b.