[Lustre-discuss] query mds for 'stat' info

Isaac Hailperin hailperin at zib.de
Wed Sep 16 02:56:48 PDT 2009

Hello list,

I'd like to implement sliding window and hight water mark deletion on a
lustre filesystem. For that I need information from all files. A first
idea was to recursivly traverse the file tree and to a `stat filename`
for every file to collect the meta data.

Now since in lustre the meta data is stored on the mds, I though that
maybe there is a more efficient way of collecting the information.

So the question is: is there a way that I could query the mds for the
information that stat would give me(I need access, modify, creation time
plus the file size). And if so, can someone guess the performance
increase of quering the mds directly over using `stat` ?

We are using lustre 1.6.something.

Isaac