[Lustre-discuss] Deactivate OST

Frank Heckes f.heckes at fz-juelich.de
Thu Sep 24 02:31:28 PDT 2009

Hi all,

sorry if this has been answered before, but I could find only one
un-answered question concerning this topic in the archive.

Question is for lustre 1.8.1.

If I like to deactivate write operation for an OST temporary, but allow
clients to read still data from the OST, disabling the OST on the MDS
will do the job as described in the admin guide.

In case an OST was lost and clients shouldn't contact the OST anymore
(if OST is damaged irreversible) even for read operation, could I
execute the 'lcl --device <id> deactivate' command also on the clients?
Or is this action superfluous since the client will receive EIO's
anyway?
Many thanks in advance.

-Frank Heckes

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt