[Lustre-discuss] Deactivate OST

Thu Sep 24 06:53:58 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 13:18 +0200, Heiko Schröter wrote:

> Disabling write only. Read on clients possible.:
> lctl set_param osc.lustre-OST000d-osc.active=0

No.  This does not disable *write*.  It just disables "new object
allocation".  This is an important distinction because it does NOT
prevent writing to existing files on the OST, which will re-use an
existing object.  This is important when trying to consider the status
of an OST after it has been disabled on the OST.  It's content could
still change in form of updated object contents.

> Disable read/write (disabling device permanently):
> lctl --device 18 conf_param lustre-OST000d.osc.active=0
> (18 and OST000d) has to be replaced by your stuff of course)

It should be noted that disabling I/O to/from an OST can be done
temporarily by making changes to "active" on the clients with lctl
set_param.

b.