[Lustre-discuss] recover OST data just using ./ROOT/ and ea.bak?

Matt Franks manvsmuni at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:32:55 PDT 2009

Ok, here's a good one...

I have a lustre set up with version 1.8. Its has a combo mdt/mgs on one
machine and three OSSs with a couple of OSTs on each.

The array that the mdt/mgs was on died and decided to stay dead, taking its
data with it. But, I thought, no problem I have my file level backup that I
did a couple of days ago. But owing to a typo in the script I ran, I only
got the tar and getfattr of the ROOT directory, rather than the whole
volume.

My question to the lustre public is.. is it possible to recover the data on
the OSTs using this? If so, can anyone lend any pointers? (If, in theory its
not possible, I'll stop banging my head against the wall and move on)

Any advice appreciated!