[Lustre-discuss] Unable to write to filesystem (device full)

Nick Jennings nick at creativemotiondesign.com
Tue Sep 29 04:30:40 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 12:40 +0200, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
>  I guess I spoke too soon. Looks like the MDS is full, even though it
> still has plenty of space, it's reporting that it's reached it's inode
> limit. Not sure how this is fixed. I am also having a hard time finding
> information about this (I wish PDF text was searchable).

 I had a momentary lapse and forgot I could, in fact, search PDFs :P

> # lfs df -h
> UUID                     bytes      Used Available  Use% Mounted on
> clients-MDT0000_UUID     35.0G      9.4G     23.6G   26% /data[MDT:0]
> clients-OST0000_UUID      2.0T    319.5G      1.6T   15% /data[OST:0]
>
> filesystem summary:       2.0T    319.5G      1.6T   15% /data
>
> # lfs df -i
> UUID                    Inodes     IUsed     IFree IUse% Mounted on
> clients-MDT0000_UUID  10485760  10409292     76468   99% /data[MDT:0]
> clients-OST0000_UUID 134217728   8082612 126135116    6% /data[OST:0]
>
> filesystem summary:   10485760  10409292     76468   99% /data
>

> I tried to grow the MDT +50G with the following:
>
> # lvextend  -L +50G /dev/vg-localdisk/mdt
>   Extending logical volume mdt to 90.00 GB
>   Logical volume mdt successfully resized
>
> # resize2fs -p /dev/vg-localdisk/mdt
> resize2fs 1.40.11.sun1 (17-June-2008)
> resize2fs: Filesystem has unsupported read-only feature(s) :-
> uninit_groups

 After doing more digging it seems my only option is to migrate the MDT
to a new partition (with smaller number of bytes per inode). Now I wish
I hadn't added that 50G to the existing MDT slice, because it seems like
I can't incorporate it into the MDT filesystem, and can't remove it from
the Logical Volume (warns of data loss and I don't want to take that
chance).

 So I've got about 80G left on this server, Ideally I'd like to use both
partitions together 80G+90G for the new MDT slice, and format it using
2096 bytes for each inode. However since I can't seem to grow an MDT
filesystem I don't know how I'm going to do this...

 I found some docs on migrating and MDT to a new partition a little
while ago but now can't seem to find it. If anyone can point me in the
right direction that would be great. In the meantime I've removed as
many files as I could from the filesystem to free up inodes.

 If I use half the default recommended setting of 2096 bytes per inode,
will performance degrade substantially?

cheers,
-nick