[Lustre-discuss] multi-homed issues

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Sep 30 01:40:54 PDT 2009

On Sep 30, 2009  16:13 +1000, Philip Manuel wrote:
> My /etc/modprobe.d/lustre now contains
>
> options lnet networks=tcp0(eth0),tcp1(eth1)
>
> I updated the partitions with the following:-
>
> mgsnode=172.16.0.57 at tcp,172.17.11.250 at tcp1
>
> On both of the MDT's lctl list_nids reports (note they have the above
> lnet entry in their /etc/modprobe.d/lustre file):-
>
> 172.16.0.51 at tcp
> 172.17.11.252 at tcp1
>
> On clients, for either network, they do not have the lnet entry and lctl
> list_nids reports on the local machine ip address.  However, clients on
> the tcp0 network can mount the lustre partition.  Clients on the tcp1
> network cannot mount via the tcp1 IP address but can via the tcp network
> (with a another machine routing the traffic).
>
> Do I need the same lnet module entry everywhere to make this work ?

Yes, all of the clients need to be told whether they are in the tcp0
network or the tcp1 network.  Otherwise they will default to tcp0
(which will cause the ones on the 172.17.11.* subnet to be rejected).

The manual describes different ways you can make this line the same
for all nodes so they can automatically pick the right LNET network
based on their subnet address.