[Lustre-discuss] RHEL5's OFED with lustre1.8.2 on IB

Thu Apr 8 08:51:00 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 11:43 -0400, Lawrence Sorrillo wrote:
> Brian:

Hi Lawrence,

> I greatly appreciate your input. These IB connections for this set of
> builds are SDR when the rest of the fabric is either DDR or QDR. We have
> one large fabric.
> It appears that only these nodes with this build(and SDR connections )
> are affected this way.

Ahhh.  Perhaps a firmware incompatibility?  ISTR that we ran into some
firmware compatibility issues on our IB hardware in the lab when we
started 1.5 testing.  A firmware upgrade resolved it.  I don't recall
what the nature of the problem was, but if you are experiencing hardware
issues with just one brand of hardware, firmware is most likely the
culprit.

> I can't find the pre-built, kernel-2.6.18-164.6.1.0.1.el5.x86_84.rpm.

Yes, that's because that is just RedHat's stock kernel.  You can get
that from wherever you got your distro and updates from (i.e. RH,
Centos, etc.).

> only found the source (kernel-2.6.18-164.6.1.0.1.el5.src.rpm).

It's strange why we have that on our download site.  I will ask our
release manager about that one.

> Do you have it
> somewhere?

No.  Per the above, you get it wherever you get the rest of your distro.

> I can't use the lustre patched version as I have other
> software to
> install that expects a stock kernel version.

Indeed, and on a patchless client, you don't want to use the patched
kernel.

> I am hoping to use the
> pre-built lustre-client rpms with my built binary(hoping for no modules
> versioning complaints).

If you get the kernel specified above from RH (or whoever your distro
vendor is) you shouldn't get any.

> Overly hopeful?

Not at all.

b.