[Lustre-discuss] Something about the Lustre's Internals

Tonney Kaiven Cheung zhangys04 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 07:47:56 PDT 2010

Dear everyone!

I am a new learner about the Lustre Filesystem. During my learning process,
I get some questions about the internals of it. Would you please give me
some
advice about my questions? Thanks!

Attached Questions:

1. What is the purpose of Intent Lock? Is it means that when the client send
request to the MDS, it will also send its intent telling the MDS what it
wants to
deel with the data. And then the MDS will tell the OSS about the request and

ask OSS to prepare for the request. When the client gets the reply from the
MDS
it could connect with the OSS derectly. In that case, the number of requests
MDS will be decreased.

2. Would you please tell me what the Lustre Filesystem has done to deel with

Network Request Schedule and the control of congestion?

Thanks for your answers!

Yuksam Cheung
12th, April. 2010