[Lustre-discuss] Future of LusterFS?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Fri Apr 23 08:17:10 PDT 2010

Taking a break from my current non-computer related work..

My guess based on your success is your gear is not so much cheap, as
*cost effective high MTBF commodity parts*.

If you go for the absolute bargain basement stuff, you'll have problems
as individual components flake out.

If you spend way too much money on high-end multi-redundant whizbangs,
you generally get two things.. redundancy, which in my mind often only
serves to make the eventual failure worse, and high-quality, long MTBF
components.

If you can get the high MTBF components without all the redudancy
(and associated complexity nightmare), then you win.

Troy Benjegerdes                 'da hozer'                hozer at hozed.org
CTO, Freedom Fertilizer, Sustainable wind to NH3, troy at freedomfertilizer.com
Benjegerdes Farms					TerraCarbo biofuels

The challenge in changing the world is not in having great ideas, it's in
having stupid simple ideas, as those are the ones that cause change.

Intellectual property is one of those great complicated ideas that
intellectuals like to intellectualize over, lawyers like to bill too
much over, and engineers like to overengineer. Meanwhile, it's the
stupid simple ideas underfoot that create wealth.   -- Troy, Mar 2010