[Lustre-discuss] New 10Gbe adapter on lustre client brought down switch due to broadcast traffic

Brian J. Murrell brian.murrell at oracle.com
Tue Aug 3 07:21:29 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 10:24 -0700, Jagga Soorma wrote:
> Hi Guys,

Hi,

> I had a situation yesterday where I had a 10Gbe adapter on my lustre
> client
> configured but not active (the cable was plugged in and had link but
> the
> port was down) and this actually brought down our cisco switch.

Hrm.  A switch that can be taken down by a single NIC sending any amount
of broadcast traffic it's capable of sending sounds like a broken switch
to me.

Put another way, if I found a switch in my network that could be taken
out in any way at all by a single NIC, I would be replacing it
immediately either by another of the same switch (assuming it's just a
broken piece of equipment) or another make/model (assuming it's
defective by design).

b.