[Lustre-discuss] Getting weird disk errors, no apparent impact

Wojciech Turek wjt27 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 02:31:02 PDT 2010

Hi David,

I have seen simmilar errors given out by some storage arrays. There were
caused by arrays exporting volumes via more then a single path without multi
path driver installed or configured properly. Some times the array
controllers requires a special driver to be installed on Linux host (for
example RDAC mpp driver) to properly present and handle configured volumes
in the OS. What sort of disk raid array are you using?

Best gerads,

Wojciech

On 12 August 2010 17:58, David Noriega <tsk133 at my.utsa.edu> wrote:

> We just setup a lustre system, and all looks good, but there is this
> nagging error thats floating about. When I reboot any of the nodes, be
> it a OSS or MDS, I will get this:
>
> [root at meta1 ~]# dmesg | grep sdc
> sdc : very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
> SCSI device sdc: 4878622720 512-byte hdwr sectors (2497855 MB)
> sdc: Write Protect is off
> sdc: Mode Sense: 77 00 10 08
> SCSI device sdc: drive cache: write back w/ FUA
> sdc : very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
> SCSI device sdc: 4878622720 512-byte hdwr sectors (2497855 MB)
> sdc: Write Protect is off
> sdc: Mode Sense: 77 00 10 08
> SCSI device sdc: drive cache: write back w/ FUA
>  sdc:end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
> Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
>
> This doesn't seem to affect anything. fdisk -l doesn't even report the
> device. The same(thought of course different block device sdd, sde, on
> the OSSs), happens on all the nodes.
>
> If I run pvdisplay or lvdisplay, I'll get this:
> /dev/sdc: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
>
> Any ideas?
> David
> --
> Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities,
> we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college!
> You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private
> sector. They expect results. -Ray Ghostbusters

Wojciech Turek

Senior System Architect

High Performance Computing Service
University of Cambridge