[Lustre-discuss] Disabling locks in Lustre

Dulcardo Arteaga Clavijo dulcardo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 10:07:44 PDT 2010

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this group, I hope you can help me.

I am trying to compare the performance of Lustre for parallel write to
a shared file with locks and
without locks. But after doing some experiments I didn't see any
performance improvement when I run without locks.

My environment is composed by 7 OST/ODT, 1 MGS/MDT, and 32 Clients. In the
experiment every Client writes 100MB into a shared file.

Does it exits a difference when running Lustre without locks?

I am using  ioctl(fd, LL_IOC_SETFLAGS, LL_FILE_IGNORE_LOCK) to disable locks.

Thanks in advance,
- Dulcardo