[Lustre-discuss] would patches in kernel_patches/patches change under the same name?

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Thu Aug 26 19:03:43 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-26, at 19:59, Jay Lan wrote:
> I am new to lustre source building, and I need help in one
> question about the patches in the lustre tree.
>
> Since I do not see version number associated with any given
> patch, I am not sure if it is possible a patch under the same
> patch name in two different releases diffs?
>
> The kernel_patches/series directory contains series files
> for different OS'es. The contents of series for a given OS
> can be different from one lustre release to another. However,
> can I assume that patches would be kept the same
> through different lustre releases? At least, through all
> 1.8.x releases?

The kernel patches for a specific Lustre release are only sure to work for the kernel version described in lustre/ChangeLog.  They may work on earlier or later kernels (chance is proportional to the difference of the kernel version :-).

In general, we discourage people building server kernels for different kernels, because the servers should only be running Lustre, and can run the specific kernel version that is known to work with that version of Lustre.

You can download the exact matching kernel sources at http://downloads.lustre.org/ so that you are sure to get a matching kernel.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.