[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Client - Memory Issue

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Tue Aug 31 13:51:19 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-31, at 13:12, Jagga Soorma wrote:
> It looks like 1.8.4 is the most recent stable release for 1.8.x, so I will plan on upgrading to this new release and see if this resolves my memory leak.  Is there a reason why SLES 11 SP1 is not being tested for these new lustre clients?  Why is the kernel for SLES11 staying at 2.6.27.39-0.3.1?

Unfortunately, SLES decided to make a major change the kernel in their stable SLES11 release, from 2.6.27 to 2.6.32.  This requires a considerable amount of change in Lustre to work with the new kernel, which wasn't completed in time for the 1.8.4 feature cutoff.  The support for SLES11 SP1 is largely complete and should be available in the 1.8.5 release.

The only good thing to come out of this disruptive change is that SLES11 SP1's 2.6.32 kernel is nearly the same as the RHEL6 2.6.32 kernel so it will hopefully mean we can share the patches for both of these kernels moving forward.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.