[Lustre-discuss] mdsdb creation, git- inode hard link warnings

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Tue Aug 31 14:51:43 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-31, at 06:42, Adam wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else had experienced hard-link warnings when
> attempting to create the mdsdb, eg:
>
> warning MDS inode git-var (inum 83834835): DB_KEYEXIST: Key/data pair
> already exists hard link?
> warning MDS inode git-verify-pack (inum 83834835): DB_KEYEXIST: Key/data
> pair already exists hard link?
> warning MDS inode git-verify-tag (inum 83834835): DB_KEYEXIST: Key/data
> pair already exists hard link?
> warning MDS inode git-write-tree (inum 83834835): DB_KEYEXIST: Key/data
> pair already exists hard link?
>
> Roughly 250 or so of the same time of warning as the above, and all for
> the same inode.

Yes, this is not unusual, and as it indicates it is likely due to a hard-linked file.  This message has been already been removed from our next e2fsprogs release.

> If the mdsdb can eventually be created (27GB so far and growing after 12
> hours of creation time), will it be safe to use a database created with
> those warnings to create the ostdb's, then run lfsck?

This message does not cause any problems.

> This would be: 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5_lustre.1.8.3

Generally more important in a case like this is the e2fsprogs version.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.