[Lustre-discuss] Getting around a Catch-22

Bob Ball ball at umich.edu
Tue Dec 7 06:51:38 PST 2010

We have 6 OSS, each with at least 8 OST.  It sometimes happens that I
need to do maintenance on an OST, so to avoid hanging processes on the
client machines, I use lctl to disable access to that OST on active
client machines.

So, now, it may happen during this maintenance that a client machine is
rebooted.  So far so good, until it comes time for the Lustre mount.  At
this point, the reboot will hang, as the under-maintenance OST that is
expected to be found by this rebooting client, is not found.

Is there some way around this Catch-22?

Thanks,
bob