[Lustre-discuss] Renaming an OSS

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Mon Dec 13 12:59:29 PST 2010

On 2010-12-13, at 13:48, Bob Ball wrote:
> For administrative reasons, we want to rename an OSS.  It will retain
> the same IP addresses, and have the same OST.  Does this present any
> problems that I should be aware of, or is it a no-brainer?

It's definitely not _easy_ to do this, but possible.   I don't think this was ever tested, but roughly:

- change the filesystem label via e2label on each OST/MDT
- binary edit the "last_rcvd" file on each OST/MDT - UUID at offset 0
- binary edit the "CONFIGS/mountdata" file - two UUIDs in there, IIRC
- regenerate the mount configuration via "writeconf" (procedure in manual)

I don't _think_ the UUIDs or filesystem name are stored elsewhere, but like I said, this has never been tested so should probably do this on a test filesystem first and verify it can be mounted properly afterward.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.