[Lustre-discuss] Rebuilding kernel rpms

Brian J. Murrell brian.murrell at oracle.com
Fri Dec 17 10:11:45 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 09:50 +0100, Arne Brutschy wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I am using the rocks distribution, which does not allow to mix 32bit and
> 64bit systems.

That seems like quite a limitation.

> So it's either all 64bit or none, and I am quite hesitant
> to make the switch (we have no requirement for 64bit from the cluster
> users).

I don't know if PAE addresses this limitation but the one other problem
with 32 bit kernels is the limited amount of RAM (~1GB only, no matter
how much is in the machine) that the kernel can use.  Given that Lustre
is all in the kernel, it doesn't make much sense to put even 4G of RAM
into a system where the kernel can use only 1GB of it.

> Anyways, I need to apply other patches as well (network card
> driver, which can be installed as RPM as well but is a pain).

A network card driver really should only require the kernel headers to
build, which kernel-devel supplies, IIRC, for RHEL/CentOS.

b.