[Lustre-discuss] how to reuse OST indices (EADDRINUSE)

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Tue Dec 21 14:46:23 PST 2010

On Dec 21, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> It's unfortunate that you didn't see the thread from a few weeks ago
> that discussed this exact topic of OST replacement.

Agreed.  :(

> It should get a section in the manual I think.

Agreed.

> This file is at /O/0/LAST_ID (capital 'o' then zero) and should be
> copied for OSTs you haven't replaced yet, along with the other
> files.  It can be recreated with a binary editor from the value on
> the MDS (lctl get_param osc.*.prealloc_next_id) for the 6 OSTs that
> have already been replaced. Search the list or bugzilla for
> "LAST_ID" for a detailed procedure.

This seems to do the trick.   Thank you!.    One important
clarification though...on the mds, should we getting the value of
prealloc_next_id or prealloc_last_id?    Section 23.3.9 of the 2.0 Ops
manual for "How to fix a Bad LAST_ID on an OST" seems to use
prealloc_last_id.    Which should we be using?

Thank you again,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center