[Lustre-discuss] write RPC & congestion

Oleg Drokin green at linuxhacker.ru
Tue Dec 21 19:51:03 PST 2010

Hello!

I guess I am a little bit late to the party, but I was just reading comments in bug 16900 and have this question I really need to ask.

On Aug 23, 2010, at 10:58 PM, Jeremy Filizetti wrote:
> The larger RPCs from bug 16900 offered some significant performance when working over the WAN.  Our use case involves a few clients who need fast access rather then 100s or 1000s.  The included PDF shows iozone performance over the WAN in 10 ms RTT increments up to 200ms for a single Lustre client and a small Lustre setup (1 MDS, 2 OSS, 6 OSTs).  This test was with a SDR Infiniband WAN connection using Obsidian Longbows to simulate delay.  I'm not 100% sure the value used is correct for the concurrent_sends.
>
> So even though this isn't geared towards most Lustre users, I think the larger RPCs is pretty useful.  Plenty of people at LUG2010 mentioned using Lustre over the WAN in some way.

So are you sure you got your benefit from the larger RPC size as opposed to just having 4x more data on the wire? There is another way to increase the amount of data on the wire without large RPCs, you can increase the number or RPCs in flight to OSTs from current default of 8 to say 32 (/proc/fs/lustre/osc/*/max_rpcs_in_flight).

I really wonder how the results would compare to the 4M RPCs results if you still have the capability to test it.

Thanks.

Bye,
    Oleg