[Lustre-discuss] Serious problem with OSTs

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Wed Dec 29 22:47:21 PST 2010

On 2010-12-29, at 20:22, "Mervini, Joseph A" <jamervi at sandia.gov> wrote:

> And examining the LUN with tunefs.lustre produces the following:
>
> [root at rio37 ~]# tunefs.lustre /dev/sdf
> checking for existing Lustre data: found last_rcvd
> tunefs.lustre: Unable to read 1.6 config /tmp/dirUvdBcz/mountdata.

That means the mountdata file is likely either missing or corrupted somehow.

>   Read previous values:
> Target:
> Index:      54
> UUID:       ostr)o37sdf_UID
> Lustre FS:  lustre
> Mount type: ldiskfs
> Flags:      0x202
>              (OST upgrade1.4 )
> Persistent mount opts:
> Parameters:
>
> I suspected that there were file system inconsistencies so I ran fsck on one of the target and got a large number of errors, primarily "Multiply-claimed blocks" running e2fsck -fp and when it completed the OS told me I needed to run fsck manually which I did with the "-fy" options. This dumped a ton of inodes to lost+found. In addition, when it started it converted the file system from ext3 to ext2 during the fsck and then recreated the journal when it completed.

There was some sort of device-level corruption in this case. The e2fsck fixed it as much as possible, and you should run ll_recover_lost_found_objs on the mounted filesystem.

> However, I was still unable to mount the LUN and tunefs.lustre still had the FATAL condition shown above.
>
> I AM able to mount all of the LUNs as ldiskfs devices so I suspect that the lustre config for those OSTs just got clobbered somehow. Also, looking at the inodes that were dumped to lost+found, most of them have timestamps that are more that a year old that by policy should have been purged so I'm wondering if it is just an artifact of the file system not being checked for a very long time.

That depends in atime, which is normally only updated on the MDS on disk.

> Other things to note is the OSS is fiber channel attached to a DDN 9500 and the OSTs that are having problems are associated with one controller of the couplet. That is suspicious, but because neither controller is showing any faults I suspect that whatever has occurred did not happen recently.

It does seem to be the smoking gun.

> In addition, the  /CONFIG/mountdata on all the targets originally had a timestamp of Aug 3 14:05 (and still does for the targets that can't be mounted).
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> How can I restore the config data on the OSTs that are having problems?

I think there was a thread on rebuilding the mountdata file recently.

> What does "Multiply-claimed blocks" mean and does it indicate corruption?

Disk-level corruption.

> I am afraid that running e2fsck may have compounded my problems and am holding off on doing any file system checks on the other 2 target.

Well, it is needed at some point...