[Lustre-discuss] lfs setquota Question

Jagga Soorma jagga13 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:19:18 PST 2010

Hi Guys,

I am running lustre 1.8.1 and need to setup quota's for users.  I have done
the following:

On MDS:
tunefs.lustre --param mdt.quota_type=ug /dev/mdtvg/mdtlv

On OSS's:
(For all ost's)
tunefs.lustre --param ost.quota_type=ug /dev/mapper/mpath[X]

** I believe the above commands are persistent and I don't have to do
anything besides this? **

On Client:
Mounted the lustre filesystem and ran:
lfs quotacheck /mnt/lustre

Now, I need to set a 12TB limit for all users.  I believe this size is
supported for quota's in 1.8.  Would this be the right thing to do:

lfs setquota -u username -b 12884901888 -B 13199474688 /mnt/lustre

I believe I will need to do the above for all users.  Not using group quotas
even though they are enabled.  Also, this is a 20TB lustre volume and the
quota is just to safegaurd from one user filling up the filesystem.

Also, would it be okay to monitor the usage on a daily basis by running the
following command with a script:

lfs quota -u username -v /mnt/lustre

Or would it not be recommended?  I do not know how much overhead this would
add and don't want to cause other issues by running this.  But, this
information would be a nice to have.

Regards,
-J