[Lustre-discuss] add new network links to existing OSS

Jake Maul jakemaul at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 13:45:55 PST 2010

Greetings,

We've got a small Lustre network set up, and have rather suddenly run
into a bottleneck with a single gigabit link to certain OSS's.

http://wiki.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual18_HTML/Bonding.html#50638966_pgfId-1289000

Based on that page in the manual, it sounds like setting up Lustre to
handle multiple links will give us better performance than setting up
a traditional bonded ethernet link. My question is... how do we do
that in an existing setup? Clearly we need to edit modprobe.conf and
add the new network interface, and reload all the lnet-related
modules. Does anything need to happen besides that?

My concern is that the new link would also have it's own IP. Does
anything need to be "informed" of this additional IP (like the
MGS/MDS)? Any other pitfalls we need to be aware of?

Thanks,
Jake